Sunday, August 28, 2011

Virtue Pick 2: JUSTICE


Justice ~ Justice is being fair in all that we do. We continually look for the truth, not bowing to others' judgments or perceptions. We do not backbite. We clear up problems face to face. We make agreements that benefit everyone equally. When we commit a wrong, we are honest in correcting it and making amends. If someone is hurting us, it is just to stop them. It is never just for strong people to hurt weaker people. With justice, we protect everyone's rights. Sometimes when we stand for justice, we stand alone.
 ~ The Virtue's Project

Justice in practice: I think for myself. I do not engage in prejudice or backbiting. I make fair agreements. I make restitution for my mistakes. I honor peoples' rights including my own. I have the courage to stand up for the truth.

So, this is the virtue I picked at random to focus on this week. When I look back on my life it has been my sense of justice that has been at the root of most of what I have done. My name, when broken down in Arabic means justice, Jeong-Eui in Korean. This past year most of the anger I have felt has been as a result of things I felt were unjust. For me, the test is not seeing injustice but in my response to it. So it makes perfect sense that the very first virtue I picked was Assertiveness. It is the most complementary virtue to apply when I am in a position to speak on the injustice of something. So, this week I will do my best to be mindful of the practices involved in being just in my life, including not backbiting and gossiping. Gotta make some changes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home