Monday, August 29, 2011

Justice: A Reflection

I think the majority of my life has been rooted in understanding justice and healing from injustices done to me that were not resolved by those who had power. I think many of my knee jerk reactions as an adult are rooted in those injustices long ago. To stand up in the name of justice requires tact, grace, dignity, wisdom and peaceful confidence born of the virtue assertiveness. 

This past year was rough because of the adjustments I had to make professionally as a teacher and many of the things I was seeing registered really loudly with my "NOT JUSTICE" alert system. There is also not a very constructive, responsive system set up for legitimate concerns to be voiced and rectified. As a result of this, I have become very impatient with the administration here. I also became a complainer and backbiter/gossiper which was never the type of person I was. I realized, before going home on vacation, that I was angry all the time. I pondered on it and came to the conclusion that it was a build up of frustrations and anger with injustices that I perceived. I could produce a LONG list of things that I know are wrong, regardless of culture, but I don't want to rehash stuff. What is done is done. 

To make this year better for me personally I need to start recognizing what I have done when there was no recourse. When there was no support. How did create justice out of injustice? I did it in my classroom. I made sure my students felt safe. That they had predictable patterns to learn in. I went over and beyond to make sure my dear Asma, my blind student, became familiar with the classroom and I adjusted my teaching style to make sure she was included as often as possible. I also used my gift for writing to compose emails to people in administration that voiced my concerns in a respectful but firm way. The best I could do was write and I always got a reply even if there was no action on their part, I knew someone had heard me. 

I have become less patient in this environment where patience is the paramount virtue that is needed. I guess I need to start letting more things go, especially those things I cannot do anything about, and address  those things that I can bring to light. So, over the next few days, in preparation for another year of craziness, I will reflect on the year past and begin to look at the different paths to justice. 
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home