Friday, December 31, 2004

Meeting Mike- An "old friend"

Okay, I met a guy tonight that I haven't seen in years. The last time I saw him was 4 years ago...maybe more...he came to Myrtle Beach with my sister and we hung out a bit. It was the first and last time I saw him. My sister told me later that he really liked me. Well, I didn't think much of it because he is so much younger than me. I thought that time would take care of it.

When I got back home after being gone for awhile, my sister informed me that not only was he still here, but that he still liked me. I must say that I was suprised and that I also was a bit intrigued. Tonight I saw him again after years. We immediately began to talk. It was like I was talking with an old friend. I think we could have talked all night. The thing is that this isn't uncommon for me. I have quite a few people in my life that I connected with as friends very quickly..men and women. The only thing that sets this apart is that I knew beforehand that he liked me in a romantic way.

As I think about it now, I sensed that he sees in me things he would like to do. I have travelled alot and he seems to admire the things I have done. He wants to travel. He isn't averse to trying new things. He is very open minded. He has a sincere kindness about him. He also seems like an old soul in a young body. This is what I saw.

Looking at my own past, I have learned that most of the guys I have ever been involved with have an idea in their heads as to who I am or what I am like. Usually it isn't a 3-D version. I am not sure what he has going on in his head. I am older and a bit more aware of myself and I think that maybe part of why a young guy might be interested in me. In the past, the type of guys I have been involved with, regardless of their age, weren't very mature emotionally. We may connect intellectually and there may have been chemistry but when it comes down to it, there is just too much emotional dysfunction. I keep being attracted to these types of men. I know it has been because of my own lack of a healthy emotional life but things have changed now. In the past I would meet guys who liked me but who didn't know me. Things would move much too fast and he would realise that I am not the person he had created in his head. I have to be very careful.

Here I am again but so much wiser. In the past I would have taken this little morsel of attention and run wild with it. I mean, the guy hasn't said anything to me and hasn't even approached me to go out on a date. I have been home almost a month. He knows how to contact me. For me, age has little to do with it. It's the person's character and where they are in their journey toward maturity. I don't know this guy well enough to be able to come to any significant conclusion. I do know that I am not going to pursue anything...not like I would have in the past. If he is interested he can make the effort otherwise when I see him, I see him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home