Wednesday, January 31, 2007

heart memory

in May ten years will have passed since my soul journey to East Africa. i sometimes remember Asmara, Eritrea and tears come to my eyes. it was such a powerful trip. such a look into the nobility of being human. my heart is still attached and i hope that whatever happens in my future, a part of it is getting back to "the Continent".

yeah, ten years and my passport is stamped on so many pages that i had to have new pages added. i know it has been ten years because today i go to the US Embassy to have my passport renewed for another ten years.

it is strange the things in our lives that mark the time. the first passport i ever had was for going to East Africa. during a 3 day visit to the Baha'i Holy Land in Haifa, Israel, it was stolen. well my ENTIRE bag was stolen and it was by the grace of God that i got out of Israel and back home. that in and of itself is a story. needless-to-say, my passport says, "Issued- U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv, Israel", a temporary passport...so i have to tell people at customs when i enter any country, "Go to page 21. My passport was extended.

today i turn in my old one for a new one. i was elated when i found out that i get the old one back. the photo of the 22 year old me has a great tan. my new one will be a much paler version. the effects of life in the city!!!

so 22 is now 32 and with countless life changing experiences under my belt still, none move me like my memories of East Africa. none.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home