Monday, January 10, 2005

My mom and I went to Conway over the weekend

Ody called and asked if I could come to a get together at her house and I talked my mom into coming. I am really happy she came. We meant to only stay one night but we ended up being there all weekend. Ody and I finally got to have our heart to heart talk that ended around 5 am. My mom got to have some down time while getting to be around a person we both love as a family member. Ody's children Angel and Nandi are absolutely beautiful inside and out. Ody's husband bought her a DDR game (Dance Dance Revolution ) and the night my mom and I arrived they started playing. I didn't think my mom would try it but she did and she loved it. Angel was so sweet. He was telling her how hard it could be and then when she was finished "dancing" said, "You did a good job." He is 7 years old.

My mom and I also went to a tutor's gathering for the Ruhi Study course. Man, I got to see people I had not seen in years since I left for Chicago. It was so wonderful. I can't describe the warmth, familiarity and ease of being with them. Some of them were people who have known me ,literally, all of my life and some were people that I had developed strong bonds with as a young adult. It was like being with family. It was helpful to see where things are for the Baha'i Community here as far as the study circles are concerned. I am thinking that I need to get involved in the community here in Florence to make connections with people who may be interested in the Baha'i Faith. I am going to join a Toastmasters Club and I am going to look at getting a Latin Dance group together. Just a group of people who are either interested in or actually do latin dancing...I need some folks to hang out with...I am about to go crazy in this small town. I figure that there has to be more to do than drink alcohol or go to the movies. I learned in Korea that becoming friends with people is so important. It was the first time I was surrounded with friends who weren't Baha'is and if they were or weren't interested in the Faith didn't effect those relationships. I learned a good lesson...we are all spiritual beings who need to connect to other spiritual beings regardless of religious background or otherwise. Yet, I also have an inescapble duty to let people know about the Baha'i Faith and I cannot do that if I am only interacting with Baha'is.

On Sunday we went to the devotional gathering at the Conway Baha'i Center. My heart was so happy. I haven't been in a community in a long time that includes singing as much as in Conway. The feeling of joy and fellowship was like coming home. I have greatly missed it. I must say that there is a authenticity to the people of South Carolina that sets them apart. I am honored to have grown up in such an environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home