Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Nature of Forgiveness

As I am beginning to finally grasp what it is that I am feeling at peace about, I am beginning to get a glimpse of what it means to forgive. I had to place myself in front of my father to know that he no longer had power. That the child/parent relationship I was left with no longer exists. I am an adult now. Somehow knowing that I hda boundaries and could follow through on them really made me feel like I had finally tackled my biggest test. If I can no longer hand over power to my father than I hope that will no longer hand over power to any man. I think it also helped that I was able to tell my father the truth a few months ago...without emotion or attachment to his reaction. This concept of truth telling was so fundamental for me to be where I am now. As I am beginnning to understand that forgiveness is what I am feeling I am starting to see all of its components. It really is freeing. Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting but it does mean letting go. It means that you no longer give power to another to control how you behave around them or feel around them. It is a beautiful thing that I am just beginning to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home