Thursday, February 03, 2005

Insights: Young People/ Sexuality

I have been thinking about a couple of ideas for the "Insights" conference. Well, actually, they were things I was thinking about before I was asked to help plan it.

There are so many young people, pre-teens and teens, that seem to be walking through the increasingly confusing maze of life with very little help. I have spent the majority of my life with young people. I know that many of them feel isolated and adults seem to be inaccessible. Sometimes there is this assumption that adults are perfect, expect them to be perfect, or adults are so messed up that they couldn't be of any help anyway. I have all these young people in my life that are truly struggling with trying to develop a stronger sense of self. They don't know how to be around alcohol, drugs, sex or backbiting without getting pulled in. The fact of the matter is that yes, it would seem to be best if a person just steered clear of such things but then how do you know how strong you are? Then you are cutting alot of people out of your life. You risk being seen as acting "holier than thou". But I have learned that with a good balance of spiritual strength and acknowledgement of personal human weakness, you can befriend many people, don't come across as being judgemental and are able to maintain a sense of integrity. I want to find out if there is a way to prepare a presentation that addresses the needs of people around my age being the bridge for young people. Using our experiences as a way to help guide them around the pitfalls.

The other thing is sexuality. I have been talking about this alot with many different folks. As a matter of fact I had an interesting conversation with my sister about sex just now. The thing I have been mulling over is the way that sex has been viewed in society and in the Baha'i community. Now although the Faith sets the standard that sex belongs in marriage, it doesn't accept making it shameful or that people should feel guilty about sexual energy. I have come to find that there is such an unhealthy view of sex that people don't acknowledge it. For example, knowing the difference between sexual attraction and spiritual attraction. Being able to acknowledge when there is sexual tension requires an honesty and a healthiness regarding it. Trying to ignore that sexual tension exists ,as if somehow by denying it makes the tension go away, has the opposite effect. I am trying to think of ways to prepare a presentation that addresses the need to acknowledge the legitimacy of sexual energy while also providing ways to harness and channel it until that energy can be expressed in the right way...in marriage.

Big thoughts for such a tired brain^0^


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home