Monday, June 27, 2005

The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off

I just finished watching the story of Johnny Kennedy, a young man who had a rare and painful disease that caused his skin to rot. He lived for 30 years with this condition before he died in 2003. I am certain that he probably went through many stages in his life trying to grasp the wisdom of what his life was to mean. In the final stages of his life though, I got the message that he had come to understand that there is so much more to this thing we call living. He spoke of how shallow it is for people to think that we only are born and then we die. He suffered through this painful living for 30 years and was able to grasp what, I as a healthy person struggle to grasp, and that is that we are put on earth to do more than live. I think of myself. The things that I let get to me. The things that I let break my spirit. The things that I concern myself with. I want more than the life that I live. One of mediocrity and selfishness. I don't want to be famous and I don't want to inspire others, I just simply want to be at peace and know that I am living life as God intended...with love, passion, grace, and the courage to serve others with all my heart. To not complain and become depressed. I want to be able to look at everything in my life as another opportunity to see that my soul is what animates the shell of my physical prescence. At the end of "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off", Johnny Kennedy spoke of his hope that by telling his story, it may cause me to think...and he has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home