Monday, January 30, 2006

When Everything Happens As You Imagined

...it is a little eerie.

I guess I failed to say that Seung-woo is the wonderful man I referred to in an earlier post.

Just to quickly recap.

We met in toastmasters. I gave a speech on the Baha'i Faith. He approached me afterwards to say he was interested in the Faith. We met for dinner. I told him a little. Invited him to join a study circle and to attend devotional gatherings..both of which he wholeheartedly particpated in. He became a Baha'i. Somewhere between dinner and him becoming a Baha'i, we realised we were interested in eachother. So now, we have been "getting to know eachother", "seeing eachother", "dating", "becoming aquainted with eachother's character" for about 5~7 months.

Now things were eerie from the beginning. He is completely different from any Korean man or American man for that matter, that I have ever been involved with. He is very intuitive, does things with the deepest sincerity, talks about issues easily making it easier to resolve conflicts (and we've had them), is very honest, is very truly spiritual (meaning he is able to acknowledge his humaness also), is productive, loves to serve, isn't judgemental, very humble, is supportive, wants to learn to dance, and has a good relationship with is mother in particular. The big downside is that he has "blossomed" fully yet...as he says it. He hasn't gotten to that point where he is truly comfortable within his own skin and is able to embrace himself as a man with all of the implications if we decide to get married. He is so proactive though. Even in thr short time that I have known him, as he has become more in tuned with the Faith, he is changing in a very positive way. He is "blossoming" here. We both know though that he needs to leave Korea to really be able to fully complete the process. So he is planning to serve in India for six months after which he plans to come to the States to study. I have been constantly surprised by his ability to see himself and be honest about where he is. To tell you the truth, he is very much like me in this way. Always looking for opportunities to better himself as a spiritual being. The fact that he has all of the qualities I wanted and then some, is eerie.

Another eerie point happened today and it was mostly a realisation I had on my way home after spending the day with his mom and sister. It was the fact that I was getting to know his family as I have always envisioned I would come to know the family of someone I might marry. (Yes, we have talked extensively about marriage.) His mother and sister are unlike any Korean women I have met. Just the fact that they are cool with me dating Seung-woo is a very big deal in Korea. His mother showered me with unexpected gifts and kindness. His sister and I connected almost immediately. I was so comfortable in their house today that I actually fell asleep!!!

When people asked me if I would date or marry a Korean man I always answered that he would have to been REALLY different. I never thought that the family should be different too. And this happens just when I am wondering if I should stay involved with Seung-woo...all we have is time so at this point as long as we are serving together and continue to support one another spiritually..everything will be made known in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home